7 Natural Steps To Adult Acne Prevention
And if you treat your acne incorrectly, it can cause permanent scarring that will be with you for the rest of your life. There are many products and medications out there that promise to heal acne, but many are looking for more natural remedies. Here are 7 great home remedies for healing acne that are completely natural.
1. Washing your skin with a washcloth every night helps in reducing acne. Use an acne face cleanser that contains benzoyl peroxide, sulfur, salicylic acid or Retin A to help in removing the top skin layer.
2. The aloe vera plant has medicinal properties with many healing applications, including its function as a natural remedy for acne. Aloe vera gel works as a natural antibiotic, killing the bacteria that cause acne sores. At the same time, the gel has a soothing effect, easing the pain caused by acne. To use aloe vera, simply cut open an aloe leaf from the plant and use the gel rather than the yellow latex. Apply the gel to the skin wherever acne appears.
3. Once a week or so you will want to use an exfoliator to get rid of dead skin cells on your face. An excess of dead skin cells can clog pores, trap bacteria and lead to break outs. Most exfoliators will contain salicylic acid. A dermatologist can prescribe more powerful medication, but salicylic acid should be just fine in most cases.
4. A dermatologist may prescribe oral antibiotics such as doxycycline, tetracycline and monocycline to counter these symptoms. The dermatologist must decide whether the benefits outweigh possible complications like stomach upsets, vertigo and reduced efficacy of birth control pills in women.
5. A small amount of sun each day (about 15 minutes) can help dry out the bacteria in your acne. You are not trying to get a tan, so wear sunscreen that is especially for skin with acne.
6. Oatmeal treatments work well for healing acne, as the oatmeal helps absorb some of the oil on the face. It can also work to exfoliate the skin, removing dead layers of skin and revealing healthy skin underneath. To use oatmeal, simply cook up one serving of oatmeal and mix in a quarter cup of honey. Once the mixture is cool, apply it to the face, avoiding the eyes. The honey in this recipe helps by acting as skin toner.
7. Like hygiene, there is no direct evidence that diet causes acne. However, the antioxidants in fruits and vegetables will give your immune system a boost, strengthening your protection against acne-causing bacteria. You should also substitute soda and coffee with water whenever possible.